The Virginia Mathematics & Science Coalition (VMSC) is a private, nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization dedicated to achieving excellence in mathematics and science education for Virginia’s K-12 and higher education students.
Vision: All Virginia students will have the mathematical and scientific knowledge and skills necessary for success in society and for pursuit of a STEM-oriented career.
Mission: To bring together education, scientific, corporate and public policy leaders committed to the sustained elevation of mathematics and science education to ensure that all Virginia’s students and citizens have the foundation required for life-long success in their daily lives, career, and society.
The Coalition developed a multiyear strategic plan to:
- Promote an educational system that provides all Virginia students with the mathematical and scientific knowledge and skills necessary for success in society and for pursuit of a STEM-oriented career;
- Support high-quality learning standards, assessment and accountability systems that are congruent with best practices for achieving the learning outcomes essential for success in society and the workforce;
- Articulate the need for improving mathematics and science education by making strong connections among mathematics, science, engineering, computer technology and reading/language arts;
- Evaluate policies, regulations and practices that impact the quality of mathematics and science education and publicize those that lead to excellence;
- Provide information and comment on public policy issues that underlie successful preparation for STEM-oriented careers;
- Establish strong collaborative interaction of statewide partners who will advocate for the sustained elevation of mathematics and science education through quality disciplinary and interdisciplinary programs that include relevant engineering, computer technology and reading/language arts applications; and
- Invigorate the Coalition so that it grows, develops and continues to provide strong leadership.
The strategic plan, Achieving Excellence in Mathematics and Science Education, outlines goals, objectives and strategies in four key areas:
- Curriculum & Assessment
- Instructional Delivery
- Human Capital
- VMSC Organizational Structure.
A copy of the strategic plan can be found here: Strategic Plan
Some history of the Coalition can be found here.